Today, I'm going to share my top 10 ways of using essential oils to fight cold and flu symptoms. And these are ways to fight symptoms without having to use over-the-counter meds - all with pure, therapeutic grade essential oils!
1) Thieves, Thieves and more Thieves - This is THE oil you want to have in your arsenal to deal with any type of illness. If my kids are sick, I will rub this one on their chests and backs and feet. We also diffuse it regularly to keep the germs at bay.
2) Fever reducer - I use lavender and/or peppermint oils to bring a fever down. Honestly, fevers are a good thing! They are a sign that your body is working and fighting off a bug. But, as numbers climb higher, most mamas become more concerned and will turn to over-the-counter medications to reduce the fever. What I do now is use essential oils to help bring that fever down by applying them diluted on the spine, under the arms and on the feet. I do this with both of my kids and I have done this for myself. Recently I had a low grade temp and tried this method and I could (literally within minutes) tell it was bringing my fever down.
3) Hot tea - At the first sign of an illness coming on for myself, I make a hot tea with 1 T. apple cider vinegar (helps balance the p.H. of the body), 1 T. honey and 1 drop of Thieves oils - all in a mug of hot water and drink that down. It's very soothing and the honey helps with the taste as well as having therapeutic benefits itself. You guys - it has worked like a charm every time!
4) Ear ache - I use lavender and Purification oils and rub along the outside of the ear and down the lymph nodes to help the ear open up and drain.
5) Nausea/vomiting/constipation/diarrhea - Peppermint oil works really well for any of these symptoms - either rubbed diluted directly on the belly - or for an adult, a drop in a capsule or on the tongue. I am also a fan of Di-Gize, an exclusive blend from Young Living and like this one rubbed on the stomach as well.
6) Congestion - We are huge fans of the "allergy trio" in my house and it works really well for congestion. I don't suffer from allergies but I have used lemon, lavender and peppermint oils to help with sinus congestion and drainage.
7) Cough - Breathe Again and R.C. have both worked really well for coughing and wheezing. Both of my girls are asthmatic and so is my husband. I have started diffusing R.C. at night for the girls to help with their symptoms. And we rub Breathe Again on their chests and feet as needed.
8) Headaches - My "go-to" method for dealing with a headache is Lavender and PanAway with Peppermint to drive in the other oils. I rub them diluted with a carrier oil on my neck and shoulders and temples if need be.
9) Sore throat - Along with the hot tea method I described earlier, I also will rub Purification on the front of my neck along the throat. I also do this with my kids if they are complaining of a sore throat.
10) Probiotics - Did you know that 70-80% of the immune system is located in the gut? If you think solely eating yogurt is going to make a difference, it won't. Most yogurts only have one strain of bacteria in them and it is not likely an active culture. I take Young Living's Life 5 probiotic every single night before bed. It has 10 billion active cultures and builds up the gut with 5 strains of "good" bacteria. I can't emphasize enough how big of a difference a good probiotic has made in my digestive and overall health!
Many of the oils I mentioned are available in Young Living's premium starter kit. And for just a few short weeks, Young Living is substituting Di-Gize for Purification and Sacred Frankincense for Frankincense. The kit is the same price but has an added value of more than $40 - making the total value of the kit around $340.
During the month of September, I'm also sending anyone who picks up a premium starter kit an Essential Oils Pocket Reference Guide, a glass spray bottle, a glass dropper bottle, two glass roll-on bottles and a month's supply of capsules. It's my gift to you to help you get started!
How to get your hands on the Premium Starter Kit:
1. Click over to the sign-up page: https://www.youngliving.com/signup/?site=US&sponsorid=1581200&enrollerid=1581200
2. Select “Sign Up As: Young Living Wholesale Member” (this secures you the 24% off discount on all future orders).
3. The “Enroller ID” and “Sponsor ID” boxes should already be filled in for you. If they aren’t, fill in 1581200 in both spots.
4. Fill out your name, billing address, shipping address, and contact info. (The reason you are asked for your SSN is for tax purposes; if you make over $600/year selling Young Living products, you will receive a 1099 form in the mail, as is required by law. Young Living never shares this info with anyone, and you’re not obligated to sell anything EVER).
5. Create your password and pin which you will use to log in to your account and order your oils (and make sure you keep that information handy!)
6. Select your enrollment order. This is where you can specify which starter kit you would like. I recommend either the Premium Starter Kit with the home diffuser for $150 or the Premium Starter Kit with the Aroma Diffuser, which is $160.
7. It will ask if you want to sign up for the Essential Rewards program. I recommend saying no to this for now - there are some great benefits but we can chat about these later! :)
8. Agree to Terms & Conditions.
9. Be sure to CONFIRM YOUR ORDER. Some folks miss this step and end up not fully checking out. To confirm, the tool will log you in and it will show you your order again and it will make you enter in your payment information again.
10. Wait and be excited! :)